Social Media Icons

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Temperature troubles inside a hoophouse

It's still March madness and with cold winds, the temperature says 'No' to warming up for more than a day (if at all). Here in west New Jersey, the temperature fluctuations this month have taken me (and my plants) by surprise.  I am relying on my little hoophouse to keep my seedlings warm at night. However, an unheated hoophouse isn't the best bet to keep young plants in place when temperature drops to less than 35 degree Fahrenheit at night.

Today started on a not-so-happy note. I saw the sad demise of my fenugreek seeds potted in a plastic container that were kept inside the hoophouse overnight.


The other seedlings in the hoophouse were not affected so much as fenugreek (as you can see in the picture). They were in a different stage of growth.

Cress, basil and another set of fenugreek look okay

Since the fenugreek stems became spindly when I saw them today morning, I just got rid of the entire sprouts. I knew they wouldn't recover. I am guessing it's the temperature variations that has caused the effect. You see, seeing your plants dead on a beautiful sunny morning doesn't make a happy start to the day. And that too fenugreek. Fenugreek is dear to me - I love its green leaves that can be cooked or eaten raw in more than one ways. The bitter taste gives fenugreek it's distinct, crisp flavor.

Lesson learnt : bring seedlings inside the house at night when temperature falls to 35 degrees Fahrenheit or below. While some who reading this blog, may say, Oh, didn't she knew it, young seedlings cannot resist freezing temperatures, it's common sense. I knew very well that seedlings are not so cold hardy. I used to bring my plants inside every so often whenever temperature dipped. The reason I put them out in the hoophouse overnight was to see if hoophouse was warm enough for the plants to survive. I could have tested the inside temperature by a thermometer but lessons learnt hard and lessons learnt best. The plants do well in the hoophouse at nights when temperature is above 40 degrees and the day had been sunny. The hoophouse gets warm enough on sunny days to keep the plants safe at nights.

I am not disheartened. I planted another round of organic fenugreek seeds (store brought) in the container. In less than a week, the seeds will sprout and the green baby leaves will make me happy again. Trial and error is a part of learning.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A short disclaimer