Social Media Icons

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Materials used for starting a vegetable garden

Since I started gardening, I have spent quite a lot on material costs. My gardening endeavor started in late february this year when I sowed a lemon seed in pot. From the day, the first seed was sown in the pot up till now, the garage and house are stacked with things I purchased in last two months. What surprised me about myself was I ended up spending more that I thought even before the first seed ever sprouted. The materials that I purchased were necessary to get things started. I have been extra careful not to purchase things that I don't need for garden. At times, you make purchases as you go and some unforeseen costs. I wanted to share a list of materials that I have purchased so far and get your feedback on what I could have avoided as an unnecessary purchase. The size of my garden is around 10,000 square feet. I planted 10-12 different vegetables and herbs. In a later post, I will share my detailed inventory costs.

  1. Agribon Row Cover (for protecting seeds and young plants from critters and birds. Is excellent in offering protection from harsh weather elements. I have spread it out on cabbage plant and it is doing a good job of protecting the cabbage from butterflies and other flying insects. Totally worth the money)
  2. Spray Nozzle
  3. Hose Pipe
  4. Small flower pots (brought them to plant basil and give away seedlings to friends and family. I liked their color and size.Not much use as a necessary garden supply)
  5. Growing Trays
  6. Plastic cells for starting seeds
  7. Single pot (for planting ginger)
  8. Hoop house materials
  9. Seeds
  10. Garden Labels
  11. Fish Emulsion
  12. Potting Mix
  13. Pitch Fork
  14. Spade
  15. 20 Fence Posts
  16. Deer Fence (300 ft)
  17. Woodsaw
  18. Hammer
  19. Trash Bin for food scraps
  20. Wheelbarrow
  21. 10 yards leaf compost
  22. Agricultural Lime 
  23. Rototiller (rental for one week)
All of the above materials were purchased for gardening. Did you purchase similar materials for your vegetable garden ? Where do you think costs could be cut down ? Feel free to add materials you used in your small farm or vegetable garden that you feel were worth the investment.



Best
Krati



No comments:

Post a Comment

A short disclaimer